Re: Using TC to simulate wireless channels

christian.benven wrote:
> it depends on what you mean by bits/s (I do not know what is a 3G
> channel). Do you mean 300, 1200, 9600, ...?
> To smaller you want it to be, the worse it becames the simulation.

Do you mean that the overall result is worse or that the quality of the
simulation suffers ? I'd be surprised by the latter, though, because one
of the big problems of any shaping is the limited temporal granularity
of dequeue actions (hmm, we'll have to find a "standard" term for this
concept ...), so low bit rates should actually be easier.

> I have written a traffic shaper one year ago that does all of those
> things.

Very good - a dedicated module definitely looks like the right approach
to me. (At least until we get better useful granularity for components,
but that's FFS :-)

- Werner

 / Werner Almesberger, ICA, EPFL, CH       werner.almesberger@ica.epfl.ch /