Re: throttling incoming traffic

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Aki M Laukkanen wrote:

> Just to make sure, you have tried with a dedicated router and still have
> problems?

YES. YES.

> If so then could you please resend your exact configuration
> and what you're trying to achieve.

Ok, I am trying to control the data rate going through a particular router
and to & from a particular host. Let me give u a diagram....

            (all outside hosts)

                    /\
             	    \/
		+--------+
		| Router |
		+--------+
                    /\
		    ||  throttle this traffic to/from Host A
                    \/
		+--------+
		| Host A |
		+--------+

Therefore, I setup the Router with the following class and filters by
doing the following...

/usr/local/sbin/tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: cbq bandwidth 6Mbit
    avpkt 1000

/usr/local/sbin/tc class replace dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:1 cbq
    bandwidth 6Mbit rate 1Mbit prio 2 maxburst 20 avpkt 1000 bounded
    isolated

/usr/local/sbin/tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 protocol ip prio 1
    handle 1: u32 divisor 1

/usr/local/sbin/tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 1 u32 match ip src
    192.4.20.232/32 flowid 1:1

/usr/local/sbin/tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 1 u32 match ip dst
    192.4.20.232/32 flowid 1:1

I get the following setup:

qdisc cbq 1: dev eth0 rate 6Mbit (bounded,isolated) prio no-transmit
class cbq 1: root rate 6Mbit (bounded,isolated) prio no-transmit
class cbq 1:1 parent 1: rate 1Mbit (bounded,isolated) prio 2
filter parent 1: protocol ip pref 1 u32
filter parent 1: protocol ip pref 1 u32 fh 1: ht divisor 1
filter parent 1: protocol ip pref 1 u32 fh 800: ht divisor 1
filter parent 1: protocol ip pref 1 u32 fh 800::800 order 2048 key ht 800
bkt 0 flowid 1:1
  match c00414e8/ffffffff at 12
filter parent 1: protocol ip pref 1 u32 fh 800::801 order 2049 key ht 800
bkt 0 flowid 1:1
  match c00414e8/ffffffff at 16

Now, when I test throughput... the downlink works. In other words, all
traffic TO Host A can is throttled to a data rate of 1Mbit. However, the
uplink does not work. That is, all traffic FROM Host A is transmitted as
fast the device will allow.

Any ideas about what my problem could be?

Armando L. Caro Jr.                                  acaro@cis.udel.edu
University of Delaware                   http://www.cis.udel.edu/~acaro