RE: TC: Dropped vs Overlimit packets

Title: RE: TC: Dropped vs Overlimit packets

Hi,

One other thing I noticed in all this, was that the overlimit count appears way, way off.  I ran a test today, with the traffic generator creating a stream at 1mbit, and sent 187119 frames (64byte frames).  It received 112208 frames at the other end.  I was policing the stream to an effective 600kbit (3 MPLS paths each limited to 200kbit) rate.  SNMP monitoring confirms that the rate is indeed approximately 600kbit (give or take a few bits for framing, etc). When I stopped the TG and looked at the stats as follows:

root@onc12:~> tc -s class show dev eth4 | grep -A 2 "1:[123]00"
class cbq 1:100 parent 1:10 leaf 8007: rate 200Kbit (bounded) prio 1
 Sent 2401024 bytes 37516 pkts (dropped 18633, overlimits 238775)
 rate 10013bps 156pps
--
class cbq 1:200 parent 1:20 leaf 8008: rate 200Kbit (bounded) prio 1
 Sent 2400960 bytes 37515 pkts (dropped 37325, overlimits 239212)

The total of the Sent and Dropped counts is 187119, as it should be.  The problem is with the overlimit packets - each of the counts it itself way over the total # of packets sent.

The classes are cbq classes, and are using the default egress qdisc (a fifo if I'm not mistaken?)  I've tried the same with a SFQ qdisc and the same thing happens.

Cheers!
Jon

Do the qdiscs then handle the flow out of a class as well as determining the fate of packets already within a class?

> > - Class sends packets which are in the room (within the
> rate) to the SFQ,
> > which just dumbly sends them on their way, like an mall
> escalator would to
> > riders.
>
> If the class has a stashed TBF or CBQ it can do rate control
> othewise it
> cant.

What do you mean by "stashed TBF or CBQ"?

Cheers!
Jon