Re: Ques on Diffserv on egress side only

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Jean-Christian de Rivaz wrote:

> I know a project how ingres queuing could be useful. The input interface
> receive normal IP traffic (UDP, TCP, ICMP, etc..) plus a special IP
> packet format for real-time operations (a vendor "extention"). The
> header of the special packet contain a priority field. The packet must
> absolutly be forwarded in prime time if the priority is higher than a
> value.
>
> My idea is to use something like "tc filter add u32 ..." on the ingres
> to dectect the special packet.

Yes. This can be done. Look at examples/diffserv/
** example of one script: Edge31-cb-chains

> Ok this example is very special to a project. But according to
> draft-ietf-diffserv-model-04.txt I feel that ingres can take some focus
> to support QoS:

It does as devik explained it.
The draft is supposed to be a rough guide not the cardinal rule. F.e
you can do everything at the ingress or egress depending on you
architecture. The end goal is to have a meaningful end2end service.

Could the FAQ collector add this as another one. We do support
ingress policing and that the diffserv/QoS works on both the ingress and
egress.

cheers,
jamal