Re: Nagg nagg... (example please!!)

<joke>Turbo, maybe you need an intercooler...</joke>

Now seriously, cool down. I've been struggling with the lack of
documentation on linux traffic control for a long time. I think I know the
reason: usually, you get to know something from the user point of view and
only then you start looking at the source code and making sense out of it.
In this case, there's some reasonable documentation on the internals, but
almost no documentation at all on the usage.
In this case, people usually get one of the floating scripts and modify them
by trial and error until it more or less suits their needs. These people
don't get to know the tools well enough so they can explain them to new
users, and those very few who understand the system are working hard on the
system itself, and don't have time to "waste" with users. Sometimes, some
users are a bit annoying too, because they want to understand all of linux
traffic control in a couple of days without any previous knowledge of the
basic mechanisms (tbf, cbq, ...).
Sometimes you get help from someone with a deep knowledge (like Jamal) but
you shouldn't have to rely on that. Part of my MsC thesis (about 2 chapters)
is on linux traffic control, and I intend to translate these chapters to
English and publish them as soon as it's finished (maybe in a month). In the
meantime, get the "Linux 2.4 Advanced Routing HOWTO", which should get you
started on the subject of linux traffic control.

Rui Prior