problem with tc

Hello,

when i try setting up a filter using tc, i get a message saying
RTELINK: invalid argument.
I tried with all possible arguments i could think of. I am trying to test the list of commands given on draft-almesberger-wajhak-diffserv-linux-01.txt (the internet draft on linux diff serv). i also tried a couple of examples i could get on the web, everytime its the same thing - it stops when i try to set the filter. could somebody tell me what i am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.
--
siva