'Strange' behaviour when trying to do bandwidth control

I'm  running this script  (http://www.bayour.com/qos.txt) on  the test
firewall, but I'm getting 'strange' (ie, not expected) behaviour.

Trying FTP from barbapapa, a 1024000 bytes file (created with
help of dd and /dev/urandom) gives 87.31 kB/s in download speed, and
3.88 kB/s in upload (according to ncftp)...

How come it's so different? Upload speed (3.88 kB/s) seems right for
a 33.6 kbit/sec link, but 87.31 kB/s???
--
[Hello to all my fans in domestic surveillance] counter-intelligence
Cuba Delta Force Ft. Bragg smuggle 747 radar Semtex assassination PLO